Kiwi

The "Clean Machine"

Ah, here we go ...

This, in the foreground, is the airbrush kit I bought for little money. The black support is, in fact, the compressor. It did a reasonable job for a couple of years, including the 'plane in the background ...

l7UTLdt.jpg

This is my spray booth; a card sheet folded on the workbench. I'm applying a matt black undercoat, as the final finish will be silver, and black is good for that...

MLrDEFN.jpg

Here's the same 'plane with its silver finish, airbrushed in the same way...

bW9BVUC.jpg

In the background, on the floor, can be seen my current compressor, with a tank ...

agivjxx.jpg

... and here's what I was using it for. Note that it's the same airbrush pen; I only have the one...

Ryv3gIg.jpg

Here's the result; a cardboard 'plane for The Littl'Un...

rJRMgUR.jpg

I use the same airbrush for stuff like this (1/6 scale New Zealand bush pilot...) ...

zHmQ0OJ.jpg

Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

I've sent the neck and bridge off to Canada for the body to be cut and routed.  When it comes back, I'll do the carved top and sealing. 

Speaking of which, I've been mulling over the excess amount of spare parts I've accrued and realised that there's almost enough for two partscasters...if I buy more spare parts apart from the pickups and bridges.  Alder or mahogany bodies and mahogany or flamed/birdseye maple necks here are about US$60-80 each.

• Like 1

Update time:  When I originally measured the neck I had, I was getting 321mm from nut to 12th fret.  Double that and you get the scale length...roughly 25.3 inches.  This was a total PITA to adapt as most strat necks are 25.5" so to get all the right sounds, I had to shift the pickup positions in CAD so that they stayed true to their position on the string.  However the guy in Canada doing the templates did the same measurements and discovered the necks were actually 25.5"scale.  This meant all I really needed to do was a straight copy and paste from the strat block I was using.|

Palm meet face. 

I can only conclude that the tape measure I was using was inaccurate by a few mm but it was a salient lesson in the importance of having reliable measuring tools.  Anyway, the templates are being made as I type.  The dream of the clean machine is becoming real...😱

clean machine template 1.jpg

• Like 1