Skinnyman

K Line Guitars

About eight years ago I spotted this in my local music shop.

A “closet classic” K-Line San Bernardino in Lake Placid Blue. Originally it had K-Line’s own P90s but I found them incredibly noisy so I swapped them out for a set of Kinman noise-free P90-a-likes instead.

Mine must have been one of the first K-Lines in the country (the shop owner brought it in as a one-off after seeing Chris Kroenlein’s stand at a trade show in the USA). Shortly afterwards, Coda Music in Stevenage became the UK importer.

I must admit, I’m not a fan of artificial ageing and, being me and always tinkering, I might swap out the P90’s for a set of humbuckers but I really like this guitar. The body shape is really comfortable (I need the belly cut these days) but mostly, I love the neck on it. It’s got quite a narrow radius to it compared to my PRS and Tele and it’s just so easy to play.

The observant may notice that I’ve fitted my Roland MIDI pickup to it - largely because it’s a direct fit to the bridge posts so I could attach it without the sticky pads or screws I’d have needed for anything else.

I don’t see of hear much about K-Lines in the UK but they deserve more attention.

80D1B2B2-919D-4F83-B2C5-D95CA9B01191.thumb.jpeg.3eea14cf0ed805000667eb6f006c8a49.jpeg1F172C69-D42A-41DF-B3DA-C3B000DCC466.thumb.jpeg.9c651ff4c1b78e4a399deb6d7a6f8106.jpeg

• Like 1

Just had a look at the Coda website and the price has rocketed up since I got mine. The one listed has humbuckers and a trem bridge but is still way over a grand more than I paid for mine.

Interesting to see that fender have embraced the P90 - I might have to try one when I’m next allowed in a music shop.

• Like 1

Fender have some really nice ideas this time round - I've really enjoyed what they've come up with this 'virtual' NAMM. I'm particularly intrigued by the concept of those Strat models where they've moved the middle pickup much closer to the bridge and added in some interesting wiring options. At some future point, I'd love to have a Strat with the selector switch replaced by three mini toggles to give me an 'on/off' for each pup, so I can have any combo I want (adding in neck and bridge as well as all three on to the usual five options). Could be tempted to do that on the Tidepool Player I have my eye on. 

• Like 1