EdwardMarlowe

Inspired by....

I've never owned a signature model guitar (unless you count an Epi Les Paul, I guess). I fidn them interesting to read about. Almost more interesting, however, are the guitars that are inspired by a specific player, but bear no direct link to them. I'm seeing a lot of ads at present for a mid-price range (300-400) of Aria Pro instruments that are modern versions of Fender styles in the tuest sense - much like the PRS "strat", someone has tkaen it back to the drawing board and redeveloped it. These are the ones I mean :https://www.ariauk.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_93

Left handed options are limited, sadly (similar with the 'Icon' Vintage guitars, or I'd be tempted by one of those for a bit of fun), but today I saw this one:

image.png.02fb03efa58df53452ddbbce3dffbe8d.png

The snappily-named 714JH

Yeah, it looks like alefty.... until you see the right handed trem. Amnd the strap button on the shorter, lower (now upper) horn. It amuses me too how the reversal of the jack socket (the 'normal' model has it the other way up than on a Strat, the obvious advantage being obvious if you thread your lead through your strap.... ) is "corrected" by this.... It's a really interesting concept, to Hendrix a guitar that's less taditional than what Jimi played.... I guess if you're a lefty SRV fan wnating something different it's also convertable...

I fidn what aria are donig with this range more generally quite interesting - a good compromise perhaps for someone who wants more modern features but with a more classic look, perhaps?

FWIW, I think the first tihng I saw the reversed strat jack socket on ewas the Red Wing guitars that I think Patrick Eggle made when he first sold off the Patirck Eggle Company (ared they still around? I remmeber them being tohught of as a sort of "cheaper, British PRS". In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember them running an Ad in Guitarist UK mag with pioctures of their modsels beside the Gibby  / PRS equivalents and listing the (significant) price difference. One of them was an Iommi-sig model SGalike.

Doesn’t work for me at all. It’s an answer to a problem that nobody has and is an ergonomic nightmare. If someone is a massive JH fan, they’ll buy a white, left handed (or right handed if you’re a lefty) Strat from the Fender stable of brands. “Why?” is  my knee jerk reaction.

21 hours ago, ezbass said:

Doesn’t work for me at all. It’s an answer to a problem that nobody has and is an ergonomic nightmare. If someone is a massive JH fan, they’ll buy a white, left handed (or right handed if you’re a lefty) Strat from the Fender stable of brands. “Why?” is  my knee jerk reaction.

That's what intrigues me about it, I think... it just seems so offbeat. Be interesting to see how it played left handed. I like that it's a bit different from another variation of the same thing, though the logical thing for any hardcore Hendrix fan to do is to buy a 60s spec Strat of the other orientation and flip it if what they want is Jimi's guitar. I'd love to hear from the guys who designed this one about how it came to be.