eth93

Trying to ID this Danelectro Shorthorn

Hey guys

So, like the title says, I'm trying to figure out what variant of the Danelectro '59 I've got here. 

All it does is in a case all day and I figured it might be best to try finding it a new home, only problem is I can't find any trace of a serial number or marking to denote what exactly this little guy is; there is, however, a mark on the neck just before the head stock where it looks like a sticker has been removed.

Features: (See attached photos)

• Single Knobs (not stacked) 
  • Full Metal Nut
  • Full Metal Bridge
  • 2 lipstick Pickups (standard)

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers
Ethan

danelectroBack.jpg

danelectroBridge.jpg

danelectroFront.jpg

danelectroKnobs.jpg

danelectroNut.jpg

I'm not much help, but fwiw..... 

I'm assuming this isn't an original from the 50s/60s, but a repop. It's not a Jerry Jones, so thast would put it in the Dano period from the late 90s. From memory, Dano made guitars again up til 2003ish, then pedals only until a new owner reintroduced the guitars in small batches from 2006ish onwards. I don't remember the changes o this one - the better bridge, non-concentric pots, different headstock shape - being something that was around in that first stage, so I'd guess it would be a post 2006ish. It doesn't match anything in the current range - https://danelectro.com/all-guitars/ - the bridge *could* have been changed (pots look "right), but the variation on the headstock shape is notable.  It's obviously some variant of the 59 (shorthorn) model, but I couldn't say which. If it's2006 or later as I suspect, it's probably one from a very specific run as the model since then has been to do limited runs and sell them out. THere's a Dano forum over here: http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/1353/ - I'm not a member, but if anyone can identify your model specifically, they will be able to. 

Nice looking guitar, btw.... When I first moved to London in 1999, I was living in rental accommodation and didn't want to being my much-prized American Strat over yet. Went looking for a cheap guitar - being a lefty, the range of options was highly limited so eventually I talked myself into buying a new Korean Epiphone Les Paul with what would now be considered a "plus top". Still got the Epi, but tbh I'm so over humbuckers in general and Les Pauls in particular by this point.... I looked in a guitar shop on Camden High Street and they had a really cool singlecut Dano, around £150 in pink.... was tempted, but decided a Dano was too niche to have as a main / second guitar, so left it. These days I wish I'd bought the Dano instead of the Epi. The Epi is a nice guitar, the Dano is just much more me now. Would probably be worth more, too! 

Mate, that's still a massive help, I'll fire it up on that Dano specific forum and maybe they can give me some answers. 

I'm currently in love with a little partscaster I built with a friend...so smooth. 

Thanks for the help!

Ethan 

• Like 1