DrewTNBD

The delay and reverb thread

So anyone who knows me knows that my favourite effects are delay and reverb. I use lots of both, often in stacked combinations. My favourite combo tends to be reverse delay into a forwards delay, both set to around 40% mix with very high feedback values, and then into a hall reverb. You get a huge palette of tones when you run this combo into the front of a cookin' valve amp.

I'm a huge fan of the Transistor Tape and Adriatic Delay models on the Helix platform. Those have this really rich edge-of-oscillation thing that I just find really groovy. Then you've got the single stomps - my favourites being the Source Audio Nemesis and Ventris, the Strymon Timeline and Big Sky, and the Boss DD-500 and RV-500.

My singles board currently consists of most of those, but I don't have a Big Sky anymore. Used to, but stupidly sold it to fund something else; think it might've been an FX8 which I moved on quite sharpish too.

The Boss RV5 and DD7 get mentions too for being simple workhorse pedals that still sound great!

What are your favourites and how are you using them?

IMG_20180821_165425.jpg

Apart from the Boss DD-500 I really like the MXR Reverb, it's the best sounding reverb I have played.  The Boss RV-5 is another one of my favourites, which I had been using regularly up until I got the MXR.  

I would always have the MXR on the plate setting and I took one of the presets on the DD-500 and tweaked it around to my liking.  I don't use delay alway the time, but leave reverb on all the time.

Sometimes I  run RV-5  > DD-500 > MXR Reverb.  I got the idea from Devin Townsend and it does give you an absolutely huge sound, even from a small practice amp at home.     

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bingefeller said:

Apart from the Boss DD-500 I really like the MXR Reverb, it's the best sounding reverb I have played.  The Boss RV-5 is another one of my favourites, which I had been using regularly up until I got the MXR.  

I would always have the MXR on the plate setting and I took one of the presets on the DD-500 and tweaked it around to my liking.  I don't use delay alway the time, but leave reverb on all the time.

Sometimes I  run RV-5  > DD-500 > MXR Reverb.  I got the idea from Devin Townsend and it does give you an absolutely huge sound, even from a small practice amp at home.     

I really want one of those MXR Reverbs at some point. Their marketing video really REALLY sold me on it. One of the best videos I've seen in this business to be frank.

What I love about the Boss units is how feature rich they are. You really can make them sound completely different from patch to patch. The DD-500 has the EQ that can be put in the feedback of the delay, which means you can shape the tone of how the repeats die away and all sorts of things like that. 

I don't know if anyone already saw this, but I did a deep dive of the Source Audio Ventris reverb pedal here:

Fantastic pedal!

• Like 2

Although I do like reverb and delay effects, I don't use pedals but instead Daw or Amplitube standard versions.

Both of my amps also have delay and reverb effects and they sound decent.

I'd like tc electronic reverb pedal and boss delay however.

• Like 1

It's a while since I've really thought about either as my last band was acoustic instruments only and the only reverb I used was the onboard reverb on my amp (Acus One Four 5).

Back in the day, I used a Boss DD5 with an external tap tempo (Boss FS-5U) and Boss Fender 65 deluxe reverb, which was more of an amp simulator. I'd quite like to get back to the old pedalboard days...

I currently just have a cheapo Yellow Fall delay (mooer?) - but love the reviews of the Nemesis and Ventris (love SA products; I used to have the Orbital Modulator and Dimension Reverb, but I needed to free up funds and was never getting full use of them.)

I'm also a big fan of delay and (to a lesser extent) reverb.

At the moment I am using an EH Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazerai - mainly for it's reverse setting which is superb - a Strymon Timeline for loops, clean-sounding and 'fancy' delays (such as the filtered delay) and a Strymon El Capistan for general (almost) always-on delays.

For reverb I have a Boss RV-5 that took the place of a Boss FRV-1, so I can switch to the shimmery setting for a couple of tunes. I also use the reverb in my Laney amp.

I have a TC Flashback X4 because it’s basically a much better sounding DL4. Since I’m pretty much only gigging as a bass player these days, it lives on my music room floor. Mainly for, err, playing with myself.

The delay I like best, though, is my old (modded) Deluxe Memory Man. Highly impractical (large and very analog), but it has a lush texture I’ve never heard in any other pedal, and it’s just the absolute best in trippy self-oscillating silliness. It’s on indefinite loan to a friend because I’m afraid I might sell it otherwise. :P

Mooer Ocean Machine - the Devin Townshend signature pedal.  Two delays and a reverb in one pedal, lots of different types available and MIDI switchable.  It has lots of knobs which saves scrolling through parameters to find the one that does the thing you want.  

Mooer are starting to shift their market position towards the higher end of things so worth grabbing the affordable items before they are rediscovered at some point in the future.