GisserD

NGD -1989 strat

On 14/12/2020 at 10:28, EdwardMarlowe said:

Never played a lace sensor equipped guitar. I do recall they worked differently to a traditional pickup - they weren't just 'hidden posts', but don't remember the details. How do they sound? 

Couldn't tell you how they work but to my ear they sound wonderful. 

• Like 1

Ah - according to Wikipedia: 

"Lace Sensors are true single-coil pickups; however, internally they are different from classic single coils. The chief difference is that, like the pickups used on the Fender Jaguar, the coil is surrounded by metal barriers which are designed to reduce electro-magnetic interference such as power line hum. According to the manufacturer, these barriers also help concentrate the magnetic field, allowing weaker magnets to be used, which results in less string pull. Less string pull, in turn, means truer pitch and intonation, and superior sustain."

So it's more a different means of putting together a sc pup... Looks to me like it broadly speaking puts the coil between magnets rather than wrapped around it...

Seems Fender dropped them when they got their own Noiseless series developed. I remember a lot of Neanderthals howling that the Laces weren't "proper" pickups because they had no polepieces, but lace sis develop a "Holy Grail" model with fake polepieces on it for that market. 

• Like 2

On 19/12/2020 at 08:24, GisserD said:

If I could like that twice. I would! 

Thanks for the Frank and comprehensive distillation of the tech.

As ever, viewer emptor, but I've discovered over the last few months that Youtube can be a fantastic resource for this sort of information. ONly problem is I'm now wild keen on spending significant money on a Shijie STE....