Skybone

Amp Modelers / Pre-Amps etc.

Running a Kemper / Helix / AxeFX / Headrush / or other such Amp Modeler / Pre-amp?

Why not discuss them here?

I'm running an old POD HD500X for both bass & guitar, I've owned various Line6 units for quite some time, from a POD v2.0, to a PODxt, and a PODxt Live. I'd love to get my hands on to a Helix, but I'd need to sell a kidney or something.

What you got?

56 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Running a Kemper / Helix / AxeFX / Headrush / or other such Amp Modeler / Pre-amp?

Why not discuss them here?

I'm running an old POD HD500X for both bass & guitar, I've owned various Line6 units for quite some time, from a POD v2.0, to a PODxt, and a PODxt Live. I'd love to get my hands on to a Helix, but I'd need to sell a kidney or something.

What you got?

A Helix AND two kidneys

I currently have a Boss GT-1, Boss GT-001 and my main unit right now is a Boss GT-1000.  I've own loads of modellers in the past, including most of the Line 6 POD units - I had a Pocket POD that I sold and regret it.  It was a decent plug and play unit that sounded pretty good.  

The GT-1000 really is something else though.  I only got it a few days ago and haven't really explored all the options but you can tweak it so much and get really detailed.  

I run a Helix with my Diezel D-Moll. Sometimes I run 4-cable-method, but typically I just go straight into the front of the amp. I switch the channels on the amp from program changes on the Helix, so when I switch snapshots on the unit it will also switch my amp. This gives me access to 8 individual sounds at the touch of a button.

I use the amp modelling only at home for recording, which is great for putting together ideas quickly.

I have a Helix, a Kemper and the Axe FX II.
They all do different jobs to varying degrees of success.
The Helix is a great device when I have no time to set up and just need to plug in and go.
I resisted it for a long time (although I was an early adopter of the Native plugin) but it is an excellent device.
The Kemper I mostly use for profiling amps- its modelling sounds better than anything else I have.
The Axe FX II I use in the studio- I've owned it the longest and it does some things that I cannot do with other boxes.

I gigged the Helix last night, direct into the PA and it sounded fine.
I still prefer tube amps, if the gig allows it.

I've gone over completely to software (Amplitube mainly) for guitar, on the laptop + interface for recording at home or the iPad + iRig for taking out of the house, in which case I'll either run it through the PA or take my MarkBass Multiamp, which works as a power amp. I was quite surprised how good it sounds through a MarkBass 1x15 speaker. I'm just jamming with people though, havn't had to depend on it live. 

I would never go back to a "real" amp now, I've never had such a good sound and I've had some decent amps.

For my regular gig I use a Pod X3 and an FBV Express straight into the PA with a small personal monitor - works well for what I do and the ease of switching between sounds is a big advantage.

At home I use a Marshall valve combo - I prefer the valve sound but prefer portability for gigging.

Andy

On 28/09/2018 at 12:29, adamg67 said:

I would never go back to a "real" amp now, I've never had such a good sound and I've had some decent amps.

Logically, I think most seasoned gigging musicians if they can find a sound they're happy with will increasingly be avoiding the hassle of having to transport a heavy amp. I have a silverface Bassman 100 that I shouldn't have bought years ago; too damn loud for playing at home, but getting it there nearly gave me a hernia!

The future for modellers / nutubes / COSM / W.h.y. imo is going to be along the lines of simplicity. I currently have a Vox AD120VT - gorgerous amp, but tbh I don'tg use the half of its potential. I don't care for on board effects, and all I want to do is make it sound like something old and tweedy. Got to shift stuff and move house first, but in the next few years I can see me ending up with either a Blues Cube, or one of those Award Session Blues whatsits. The kit for the latter in a real old school tweedy-pine cabinet from Watford Valves is lookingh very good on paper. Do one sound, do it well. If ever I was to be playing out again, I can see me looking for a pedal version of the same thing....