charic

"Beginner" modern metal songs

Anything decent to get my teeth into?

Almost like a learning path is what I need haha.  Learn this song, once you've got that one down give this one a shot etc..

I like a bit of killswitch engage, slipknot etc (keeping it purposefully vague)

I'm learning to play guitar (again) but have decided to stick with the acoustic for now. If I were to get into metal guitar again I would certainly look at Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Iron Man etc. Could be wrong, but they sound like they'd be descent learning songs. Then again, they might be well harder than they sound!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burno70 said:

I'm learning to play guitar (again) but have decided to stick with the acoustic for now. If I were to get into metal guitar again I would certainly look at Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Iron Man etc. Could be wrong, but they sound like they'd be descent learning songs. Then again, they might be well harder than they sound!

Yeah, those tunes are pretty easy from what I remember.  Looking at something with a bit more too it than those though (and more modern to fit my personal tastes ofcourse)

Picked up guitar for the first time in ages today.

Decided to give killswitch engage: my curse a shot. At slower speeds im pretty happy but at full speed im really struggling to palm mute during the right bits so it sounds messy

5 minutes ago, charic said:

Picked up guitar for the first time in ages today.

Decided to give killswitch engage: my curse a shot. At slower speeds im pretty happy but at full speed im really struggling to palm mute during the right bits so it sounds messy

Are you using a noise gate?  I can hear heavy use of a noise gate which gives their palm mutes that crazy tight sound.  

That's a tricky question to answer, as much "modern metal" is technically quite challenging both left and right handed, not to mention the fact that quite a bit of it is detuned, or even 7-string. Slipknot and KSE both write really technical (and fast!) songs.

Tool is one of my favourite bands, and they have some great songs to play, though not too complicated. I'd go back to the Undertow album and look at songs like Undertow, Crawl Away and 4 Degrees. Not very technical, but great fun and great riffs.

If you're after something a bit more challenging, how about Redneck by Lamb of God? It's real work out for the right hand with some fast rhythmic picking and palm muting. All of these songs are on a 6 string in drop-D, so easy to manage.

For something a bit more proggy, I love the Soen album Lykia. The first song Sectarian is great - really melodic but chunky at the same time. If you need a hand figuring out the notes, Songsterr.com is really useful.

Have fun!

Matt

• Like 1