gabi_oates

Looking for Marshall as50r soloist information.

Hi, I have the chance to buy a Marshall as50r soloist acoustic amp for a good price. I was just wondering if anyone had one? 

I was wanting an amp that's able to accommodate for instrument and vocal which this one does but is it possible to hook it straight up to a PA system if I were to use it for gigs? 

Is it worth buying now or saving up for something else? 

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Great amp - I have one myself! I haven't tried to connect it to a PA, but I have found it has enough power to do small gigs by itself. Depends on the size of the gigs you're doing, I guess, but there's a DI out on the back which should keep the sound engineers happy if you wanted to hook it up to the house PA.

The tone of the amp is nice, and the built-in reverb is also pretty good. There's a chorus effect on there as well, though I've never found much use for it. Also turns out - after I lent it to a friend for a few gigs - that it sounds really good for amplifying a violin, too.

Our (excellent...) singer has one for his acoustic guitars, and occasional vocal use; we've used it on stage for guitar; it works very well at home, and equally well on a 'live' stage. We mic'ed it up, as our PA (at the time...) wasn't very good. It's a splendid amp; one of the jewels in the Marshall crown, in my view.
A credible alternative would be the Roland AC40. Again, excellent quality, slightly more compact. I gave mine to a younger brother; he's used it for his duo, in restaurants, with classical guitar and voice. There are others, but those two get gold-star ratings from me.

I bought one when they were first released, over the years I have used it as on stage fold back with the di running to the PA, as a mini PA for mini gigs at friends houses and I once used a pair of them connected with a small pa desk to create a mini PA system for an acoustic open mic event, when I first got it I compared it to a friend's as80 and the sound quality was very close, he was very impressed. 

For the money I think they're great, I actually havent used mine for a while but couldn't bring myself to sell it so it's on long term loan to my best friend and bandmates as he's got a bit more storage space. 

Matt 

• Like 1