LukeFRC

First electric ... (kinda) ... need some advice

Hello I'm LukeFRC, you might know me from Basschat where I'm known as LukeFRC

Yesterday I got my first electric guitar.... actually that's a lie - Years ago I used to own a lovely Yamaha SG400 that I literally found in my aunt's wheeley bin. That was lovey - I added the coil taps and much preferred the SC sound. Anyway - that was sold, I can't remember why... 

But yesterday I picked up a beat up old 1986 Japanese Squier Strat. It should be quite nice, currently stripping it down to clean and set it up... in the past it's had 2 of it's 6 tuners replaced with some random ones... so I'm after some tuners.... now if this was a bass it would be easy... I would just make a shortlist of what I'm after, scan the Basschat marketplace/wanted post and then if I couldn't see someone selling it buy new... 

Wheres good to look for guitar stuff similar secondhand - probably a UK based forum but not full of idiots. 

(Gotoh SG381style things needed if you were wondering. either two or a whole set)

I'm a big fan of the Wilkinson E Z Lock Tuners on my Vintage V6. The damn thing just won't go out of tune, no matter how much bending I do, or how much whammy action I give it.... They've been a bit of a revelation. As much as I love my old Westbury Standard, in the studio earlier this year I was having to tune between every take. No such problems with the V6 on the last session.

Can't help with the second bit though, sorry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2020 at 09:17, ezbass said:

Another one jumps the fence, welcome.

I can’t help with a source for used bits and bobs, but I‘ve recently used these guys for new stuff, I’m happy with their service and range.

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk

Another one for Northwest...good range and great service.

And I’m now interested in trying a set of the Wilkinsons 😁

• Haha 1

Wilkinson do seem to be the obvious go-to for quality bits on a budget....  I see quite a lot of that stuff on eBay if you hunt. Other option might be to buy a used Vintage or Squier guitar and strip the parts you need, sell what you don't. If there's a fair bit you wat to use that can see you come out ahead (I regularly see Squier necks sell for more than complete guitars!) but otherwise if it's only a bit or two I'd hunt Wilkinson. 

Amazon has a good range of Fender bits, nit sure if they have Wilkinson too.