wishface

Can You Recommend a Good Budget Axe?

They let me escape basschat.

I'm thinking of picking up a guitar and learning to play and to help me write some awesome tunes.

I am not a rich man, so I'd be looking to spend not much more than a couple of hundred. But I would like something that, if I pretend to be Stave Vai for five minutes, the strings won't fly off and the whammy bar won't launch into space.

Welcome to the dark side (or light side depending on your primary allegiance). Same rules on cheap instruments apply here as on BC: Harley Benton, Squier Affinity, etc. Reasonable build quality, cheap electrics. First step is to decide what you fancy aesthetically, Tele, Strat, Les Paul, SG, ES type, certainly something that will inspire you to pick it up. If you really do want to be Steve Vai on occasion, I reckon a Yamaha Pacifica 112 is a no brainer. Whatever you go for (although not so necessary on the Yammy), get a pro setup, including a fret level/polish, it’ll be well worth it.

Edited by ezbass

Strat I guess, I don't really have a huge preference but Gibson styles are more or blues imo which isnt me.

I don't desoreately want to be steve vai, i just want to be able to play some stuff without the strings breaking or the the whammy bar exploding

11 hours ago, wishface said:

Strat I guess, I don't really have a huge preference but Gibson styles are more or blues imo which isnt me.

I don't desoreately want to be steve vai, i just want to be able to play some stuff without the strings breaking or the the whammy bar exploding

Yammy 112  all day long in that case https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=112&Filters.Ordering=7&Filters.CategoryBranch=guitars&Filters.MinPrice=&Filters.MaxPrice=&Filters.Brand=Yamaha

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

The one thing that put me off the Yamaha was always the HB in the bridge, though a HB size p90 could be nice there.... 

For something more traditionally Strat-like, I'd also look at the Squier Std, or Squier's CV range. The CVs look pricey for a Squier, but bear in mind they're aiming much higher up the tree than the standard MIMs. They're also holding use values pretty well (lefties, at least). Have a look too at JHS's Vintage Reissue and Icon series S-types. Surprisingly nice guitars, at least as good as the CV Squiers and sometimes the entry level MIM Fenders too. 

3 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

The one thing that put me off the Yamaha was always the HB in the bridge, though a HB size p90 could be nice there.... 

For something more traditionally Strat-like, I'd also look at the Squier Std, or Squier's CV range. The CVs look pricey for a Squier, but bear in mind they're aiming much higher up the tree than the standard MIMs. They're also holding use values pretty well (lefties, at least). Have a look too at JHS's Vintage Reissue and Icon series S-types. Surprisingly nice guitars, at least as good as the CV Squiers and sometimes the entry level MIM Fenders too. 

What do you mean HB?

On 12/11/2020 at 09:00, ezbass said:

Sounds good but there's a couple of different prices for what appears the same instrument. What are the differences?

i'm a huge fan of the Yamaha Pacifica range but your mention of Steve Vai whammy bar use would tend to sway me more to suggesting something with a floyd style trem, the vintage style ones on the pacifica (and 99% of strats) is fine for a bit of wobble or some gentle bends but for anything more a well set up floyd (or similar) will keep in tune a lot better.

there are plenty of options in your budget for a good solid superstrat, an Ibanez rg is the first one that springs to mind, then there's Jackson and Washburn a well as BC Rich if you fancy something pointier.

Superstrats were very popular in the 80's and early 90's so there are loads on the market. my first guitar was an Aria MA20 which has a floyd style trem, decent pickups and a lovely thin fast neck, i still have it and it still gets used even though i have much more expensive instruments available to me now.

Matt

23 hours ago, Matt P said:

i'm a huge fan of the Yamaha Pacifica range but your mention of Steve Vai whammy bar use would tend to sway me more to suggesting something with a floyd style trem, the vintage style ones on the pacifica (and 99% of strats) is fine for a bit of wobble or some gentle bends but for anything more a well set up floyd (or similar) will keep in tune a lot better.

there are plenty of options in your budget for a good solid superstrat, an Ibanez rg is the first one that springs to mind, then there's Jackson and Washburn a well as BC Rich if you fancy something pointier.

Superstrats were very popular in the 80's and early 90's so there are loads on the market. my first guitar was an Aria MA20 which has a floyd style trem, decent pickups and a lovely thin fast neck, i still have it and it still gets used even though i have much more expensive instruments available to me now.

Matt

Pointy, Floyd guitars have been out of fashion for a decade or two now, so now is a good time to be buying used ones. Eventually they *will* come back round - everything does - and value will go up. 

In truth, I've never found the need for enough whammy abuse to put a two-point Fender trem out of tune (they hold up surprisingly well), but if you don't mind taking the additional time it takes to restring (which in any case decreases with familiarity), for what it does and the extremes it allows, the Floyd Rose is not to be sniffed at. 

7 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Pointy, Floyd guitars have been out of fashion for a decade or two now, so now is a good time to be buying used ones. Eventually they *will* come back round - everything does - and value will go up. 

In truth, I've never found the need for enough whammy abuse to put a two-point Fender trem out of tune (they hold up surprisingly well), but if you don't mind taking the additional time it takes to restring (which in any case decreases with familiarity), for what it does and the extremes it allows, the Floyd Rose is not to be sniffed at. 

my main issue with  the trems on the pacifica and the squiers is that it is usually a 6 screw vintage style design that sits quite flush to the body so has limited up-bend (from the ones i have seen and played)

any 2 pivot trem should work great for @wishface (the one on the Ibanez SA range is a very nice 2 pivot design and sits floating above the body so will have decent travel both ways) the main reason for suggesting a slightly pointy floyd rose guitar is the fact that as they are currently out of vogue the prices are rock bottom and there are some excellent bargains to be had if you shop around. I have a handmade superstrat with a burr walnut top and an early floyd rose trem that i paid only 350 quid for, the current price for a similar one is around 2k (and a 12 month wait to get to the top of the list) it was cheap as it was out of fashion when i bought it.

now is a great  time to buy pointy guitars!

Matt

• Like 2

On 16/11/2020 at 21:26, EdwardMarlowe said:

Eventually they *will* come back round - everything does - and value will go up. 

The price of Rockman X100's has exploded in recent months.  They used to be snaggable for a hundred quid but now asking prices are around £350-500.  A quick search on YouTube will reveal a slew of videos posted in the last 6 months by vloggers which will have probably been driving demand.  

Why?  

Def Leppard used them to record their Pyromania and Hysteria albums at the behest of producer Mutt Lange.  

Interestingly Mike Shipley (RIP), the engineer on those albums, has publically slated the sound quality of the units. He emphasised how much eq-ing was needed to get them to sound right. Phil Collen didn't recommend them for use live use either and this was all years ago.   But nevertheless those prices have climbed... 

... as will anything else seen as quintessentially top 40 eighties rock.  Hamer Steve Stevens signature models for example.  Prices of Fender Stratocaster Elite, Plus and The Strat models are climbing despite well documented tuning issues on the earlier versions.  

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 15:47, ezbass said:

As far as I can see the cheaper one has all its components mounted on the p/g whilst the other has body mount controls. Perhaps there’s a difference in the p/ups too. A visit to the Yammy website might clear that up.

Is that a problem?

On 16/11/2020 at 21:14, Matt P said:

my main issue with  the trems on the pacifica and the squiers is that it is usually a 6 screw vintage style design that sits quite flush to the body so has limited up-bend (from the ones i have seen and played)

any 2 pivot trem should work great for @wishface (the one on the Ibanez SA range is a very nice 2 pivot design and sits floating above the body so will have decent travel both ways) the main reason for suggesting a slightly pointy floyd rose guitar is the fact that as they are currently out of vogue the prices are rock bottom and there are some excellent bargains to be had if you shop around. I have a handmade superstrat with a burr walnut top and an early floyd rose trem that i paid only 350 quid for, the current price for a similar one is around 2k (and a 12 month wait to get to the top of the list) it was cheap as it was out of fashion when i bought it.

now is a great  time to buy pointy guitars!

Matt

Thanks, they look nice and Ibanez are a pretty good brand I think (they were when i was a kid and was actually listening to shredmeisters all day long :D). Perhaps at the edge of my price range though. May have to wait until after lockdown so i can try and sell my xbox1. TBH, when I say i'd like a whammy bar, i don't really imagine doing any o fthe crazy tricks vai and co do since you'd likely also need a huge amunt of effects as well. I just always liked the way Zappa or Lifeson use it (say what you like about 80s Rush but Open Secrets has a gorgeous solo).

12 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The price of Rockman X100's has exploded in recent months.  They used to be snaggable for a hundred quid but now asking prices are around £350-500.  A quick search on YouTube will reveal a slew of videos posted in the last 6 months by vloggers which will have probably been driving demand.  

Why?  

Def Leppard used them to record their Pyromania and Hysteria albums at the behest of producer Mutt Lange.  

Interestingly Mike Shipley (RIP), the engineer on those albums, has publically slated the sound quality of the units. He emphasised how much eq-ing was needed to get them to sound right. Phil Collen didn't recommend them for use live use either and this was all years ago.   But nevertheless those prices have climbed... 

... as will anything else seen as quintessentially top 40 eighties rock.  Hamer Steve Stevens signature models for example.  Prices of Fender Stratocaster Elite, Plus and The Strat models are climbing despite well documented tuning issues on the earlier versions.  

There's probably a ton of good stuff second hand but with things as they are that's not going to be doable right now unfortunately. I've never heard of Rockmans though (tnot that my opinion means much )

3 hours ago, wishface said:

There's probably a ton of good stuff second hand but with things as they are that's not going to be doable right now unfortunately. I've never heard of Rockmans though (tnot that my opinion means much )

Tom Scholz from the band Boston set the company up.  He's a bit of a lectroniks wiz. X100's were headphone amps set so you could have gain, chorus delay and compression in a single unit that could fit on your belt

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Tom Scholz from the band Boston set the company up.  He's a bit of a lectroniks wiz. X100's were headphone amps set so you could have gain, chorus delay and compression in a single unit that could fit on your belt

Are they any good or would you say it was more than a feeling?

• Haha 2

On 19/11/2020 at 00:20, Kiwi said:

Why?  

I noticed recently that my old 1994 US Standard Strat would now sell for more than I paid for it (though not necessarily adjusted for inflation). Mine's a lefty, which makes it rare for that year - also, the left handed ones never had the anniversary badging that the "normal" version shipped with. 

What are the kids playing these days? I'm totally ignorant of the mainstream now. Used to have a really good handle on it via the NME, but I quite reading that in 2007 when it had become all synth bands I'd never heard / didn't like.... they left me, I didn't leave it... I think the last number one I could honestly tell you was Christmas 2009.... 

I'm hoping in the next few years that the Korean made Epiphones become a "thing" like the ProTone Squiers. I've got a beautiful one that I'm in two minds aboyt parting with, but if it made me a decent lump of cash to pour into a new Fender or a Korean Gretsch..... 

On 20/11/2020 at 21:10, EdwardMarlowe said:

I noticed recently that my old 1994 US Standard Strat would now sell for more than I paid for it (though not necessarily adjusted for inflation). Mine's a lefty, which makes it rare for that year - also, the left handed ones never had the anniversary badging that the "normal" version shipped with. 

What are the kids playing these days? I'm totally ignorant of the mainstream now. Used to have a really good handle on it via the NME, but I quite reading that in 2007 when it had become all synth bands I'd never heard / didn't like.... they left me, I didn't leave it... I think the last number one I could honestly tell you was Christmas 2009.... 

I'm hoping in the next few years that the Korean made Epiphones become a "thing" like the ProTone Squiers. I've got a beautiful one that I'm in two minds aboyt parting with, but if it made me a decent lump of cash to pour into a new Fender or a Korean Gretsch..... 

To be an appreciating asset,  music gear generally needs some kind of cultish or nostalgic appeal, or bragging rights. A sleb name and rarity often isn't enough.  

• Like 1