Andrew_S

Cab IR's (discussion and swaps)

Hi,   I  thought I'd start a thread for discussion and sharing Cab IR's.   Obviously I'm not suggesting we should share anything other than those which are freely available. 

So Cab IR's.  The latest digital witchcraft in helping us chase the holy grail of tone or just another con?  To my ears, there's no doubt at all that changing a Cab IR in a patch on my unit can makee a massive change to the tone and overall sound of the patch.  But..... is it really a  Marshall 1960x/Mesa/Fender/Ampeg can with an SM57/SM58 on/offcentre  - well I have no idea as I've never had  the ability to try all the millions of possibilities and options that now  exist.  To me, if it sounds good, sounds as you want it to, then it's the  right thing to use.  Accuracy of 'modelling' doesn't really matter to me.  Much like the whole  amp modelling debate.    Oh, I use a Mooer GE200 which I think is extraordinarily good value for  money.  It's Amp Sims are as good as I need, it's small and really simple to programe and  it takes Cab IRs.   What's not to like?

Anyway,  here's a  link to a load of Cab IR's I've collected over the years - fill your boots!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vyly3Doh4F3_x2xN4VnpvjnqlRrnR4ms

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew_S said:

Hi,   I  thought I'd start a thread for discussion and sharing Cab IR's.   Obviously I'm not suggesting we should share anything other than those which are freely available. 

So Cab IR's.  The latest digital witchcraft in helping us chase the holy grail of tone or just another con?  To my ears, there's no doubt at all that changing a Cab IR in a patch on my unit can makee a massive change to the tone and overall sound of the patch.  But..... is it really a  Marshall 1960x/Mesa/Fender/Ampeg can with an SM57/SM58 on/offcentre  - well I have no idea as I've never had  the ability to try all the millions of possibilities and options that now  exist.  To me, if it sounds good, sounds as you want it to, then it's the  right thing to use.  Accuracy of 'modelling' doesn't really matter to me.  Much like the whole  amp modelling debate.    Oh, I use a Mooer GE200 which I think is extraordinarily good value for  money.  It's Amp Sims are as good as I need, it's small and really simple to programe and  it takes Cab IRs.   What's not to like?

Anyway,  here's a  link to a load of Cab IR's I've collected over the years - fill your boots!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vyly3Doh4F3_x2xN4VnpvjnqlRrnR4ms

Brilliant! Cheers!  Might have a play with loading these into my Helix :D

1 minute ago, Noisyjon said:

Ah jeez, showing my age and ignorance here but how the hell do these work?

I get that they are emulating speakers & cabs via EQ settings but how do you load them in and use them?

Thanks in advance!

What are you loading them into? :)

While the Line 6 Helix is the fashionable device to use if you want to try out Cabinet Impulse Responses I'm going to wave the flag for a far cheaper alternative.  I use a Mooer GE200.  I'm  a 'domestic guitarist' these days so I don't  have to use it in a live situation, which is where in my experience some of the shortfalls of multi-fx units can become obvious.  It does however work well, have a  decent range of amp-sims, simple effects and the ability to use third party cab IRs.  Worth adding to your list of gear to consider if you're looking to try out Cab IRs. 

IMG_20180404_163352484.jpg