trishanbali7@gmail.com

The Story of a DIY Surf Guitar needs its Hero!

Hello all,

I'm installing a pair of pickups in a guitar for the first time and I think I may have gone as far as I can alone. My tester confirms continuation between the jack plug lugs and the pickups (in the middle position) but no sound occurs when the pickups are tapped with a screwdriver whilst the guitar is amplified.

The pups in question are a pair of lipstick pickups; I've not found a wiring diagram that perfect for the guitar and pups I want to use but I think I've found a decent approach = though I'm open to corrections.

Ive prepared an attachment which narrates the work done so far and has images / details for my approach. I would appreciate someone with experience giving me so feedback.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Guitar forum factsheet.pdf

Trishan...

Give the guitar, in its present state, to someone who knows how to solder. Let them do the job, and at the same time show you how it should be done. If you follow his/her mentoring, you may be able to do a few of the joints yourself. You've done well up to now, and the end result will be worth it, so don't spoil it any more; use this as a learning experience and see how someone competent does the job. Even if you get it to work by chance, it will fail later on, that's certain. You don't mention your location; there may be a fellow member near you, willing to lend a hand.
Hope this helps, sincere good wishes. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thanks Douglas.,

I agree the soldering leaves much to be desired and will certainly consider calling upon the tutelage of others if available. I'm based in Manchester if any members happen to be based in my neck of the woods...

However, I'd be interested to know if there were any other issues you might be able to have picked up. Do you feel the problem might be purely the quality of the soldering, or do you have any additional feedback - parts incorrectly wired to another etc.?

Regards, Trishan

Of these two, which do you prefer..?

4jwSHVA.jpg

o4jBt8U.jpg

Think about 'neat'n'tidy', and it'll make a world of difference. The soldering is certainly the main culprit, so start there. Are there any Mancunians willing to help, or recommend someone..? Now's the time... B|

Edited by Dad3353