bubinga5

Looking for a begginer Tele.?

Squier Affinity is a safe bet and Harley Benton T types are super cheap. However, if you could stretch that budget just a bit, you could get a Squier Classic Vibe 50s or 60s and they are quality instruments that would see you right for ages (I’ve had mine years).

• Like 2

On 06/11/2020 at 11:03, ezbass said:

Squier Affinity is a safe bet and Harley Benton T types are super cheap. However, if you could stretch that budget just a bit, you could get a Squier Classic Vibe 50s or 60s and they are quality instruments that would see you right for ages (I’ve had mine years).

Pretty much word for word what I'd have said.

Were I looking a cheapish Tele with no mods to make to add to my armoury now I know what I want (and bearing in mind it would be slipping in alongside a CIJ 71RI Tele), I'd start by comparing a 50s CV Tele with a Vintage (JHS brand) V52 or V58 or V62 or V75 model. Aesthetically, the headstock on the Vintage guitars is less pleasing (simply because it's a lot more Strat than Tele), but those Trevor Wilkinson designs are cracking otherwise. 

https://www.jhs.co.uk/-4463/vintage-electrics/vintage-reissued-electrics

Vintage also do some in a slightly distressed finish, if you fancy the novelty of a relic but don't want to pay out the big money:

https://www.jhs.co.uk/-4463/vintage-electrics/vintage-icon-electrics

TBH, if I was going to gig out regularly in rough venues or otherwise wanted a few guitars I didn't need to worry about much, I'd quite likely start with Vintage. Just a shame for me their left hander provision is limited, or I probably would pick up a couple for fun. 

If I wanted a Tele type just as an initial experiment to see if the basic style worked for me, I do hear good things about the HB. The Squier Affinity Tele, however, is surprisingly good for the money. String thru body, generally quite good pups in it. Every so often I toy with the ideas of buying one of these and a blank pickguard, and rewiring it as an Esquier. Always seemed odd to me that Fender don't do more with the Esquier design, compared to the big deal Gibson/ Epiphone have made of their singly pup guitars over the years.

• Like 1

Another shout for Vintage here!

I'm a bass player as a rule, but I've ended up doing the guitar work on our latest recording. I had the heavy side covered, but needed a strat type for a couple of tunes. After ages going through reviews I ended up opting for a Vintage V6 Reissued. I bought through Richards Guitars as I know he's pretty vicious in terms of setup and quality control, It was maybe about 15 quid more than the cheapest I could find, but it arrived beautifully set up, and plays like a guitar at twice the price. I was prepared to swap out the pickups, and had budgeted for that, but the Wilkinsons that it came with use are really good, so I shan't bother. Hardware is all quality stuff, and overall build quality is excellent.

Edit - Don't pay too much attention to the RRPs quoted on the Vintage website, most dealers carry them at a fair bit less.

Edited by NickD
  • Like 1